Help with Federal Agencies

How to obtain assistance from my office: 

1. Determine if you live in California's 40th Congressional District

Congressional courtesy dictates that each Member of Congress serve his or her own constituents. If you aren't sure which Congressional district you live in, please visit the U.S. House of Representatives and enter your ZIP code in the top right-hand corner to find your Representative.

2. Determine if your issue is under the jurisdiction of a federal agency

Check the list of federal agencies to see if your issue falls under the jurisdiction of a federal agency. If your particular issue does not fall under the jurisdiction of a federal agency, or you are uncertain about which agency might handle your issue, please contact my district office and a member of my staff will try to direct you to the appropriate resource or service.

3. Submit a Privacy Release Form

The Privacy Act of 1974 requires that Members of Congress and their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case. All federal agencies require your written authorization before I may inquire on your behalf. Therefore, if you would like me to make such an inquiry, please enter your zip code to access our privacy consent form so that my district staff can initiate your request for assistance. Copies of any supporting documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved are also helpful.

If you are seeking my office's assistance with a federal agency other than USCIS, please fill out this Privacy Release Form.

If you are seeking my office's assistance with a USCIS case, please fill out this Privacy Release Form.
The role of my office when assisting constituents with federal agencies is to make inquiries on your behalf with the respective agencies. This may include finding out the status of a case, requesting additional information, and requesting an expedited response or decision when appropriate. While my office can make inquiries on your behalf, we cannot guarantee a favorable outcome in all situations. It is important to note that respective agencies typically have sole discretion concerning decisions on individual cases. Also, depending on the nature of the case, federal agencies typically have a 45 day courtesy to respond to a Congressional inquiry.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Education Department

FCC - Federal Communications Commission

Housing and Urban Development

Internal Revenue Service

Department of Labor




Office of Personnel Management

Passport Service

Postal Service

Social Security Administration

State Department - Visas

Department of Veterans Affairs