Rep. Roybal-Allard Video Statement on ICE Raids
Today, Congresswoman Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA-40), the chairwoman of the Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee, made a video statement about President Trump’s ICE raids scheduled for this weekend. The video is available on YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook.
The text of the congresswoman’s statement is below.
As the chair of the Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee, let me be very clear – these raids are not about homeland security or the safety of our communities.
They are about the president’s reelection campaign and pleasing his anti-immigrant base, just to get applause and punchlines at his rallies.
It is particularly enraging that the president is inflicting lifelong trauma on our vulnerable neighbors, friends, and families in the name of upholding the law when all we hear and see from his administration is endless corruption and scandal.
The trauma that he is inflicting is real.
I have teachers telling me about children in their classrooms that exhibit signs of PTSD, crying because they are afraid that one day they will go home to an empty house and never see their parents again.
Trump must stop this political stunt and the suffering that he is inflicting on our immigrant families.
I have already demanded from ICE a full accounting of how they will:
• Prevent the detention of U.S. citizens;
• Ensure each migrant understands their rights;
• Ensure meaningful access to legal counsel;
• And guarantee the safe accommodations of children.
To those who will live in fear this weekend, please know your rights.
• If an ICE officer comes to your home, you have the right to not open the door.
• You have the right to see a judicial warrant signed by a judge.
• You have a right to not reveal your immigration status.
• You have the right to remain silent.
• And you have the right to speak with a lawyer.
Please know that you are not alone. The Congressional Hispanic Caucus and other members of the Democratic Caucus are fighting for your rights, your dignity, and your safety and that of your family.