Rep. Roybal-Allard Statement on State of the Union
Congresswoman Lucille Roybal-Allard (CA-40) issued the following statement regarding the president's State of the Union address:
We need a president who cares first and foremost about the American people. Sadly, this president has demonstrated time and time again that he cares only about his own needs and his own power, whether that means obstructing justice, abusing his office, spreading lies, or stoking prejudices.
As we begin the second year of our House Democratic majority, our caucus has demonstrated our unbending commitment to working For the People. We’re fighting to lower health care costs, increase workers’ paychecks, clean up corruption, reform our immigration system, and much more.
I wish the president would join us in these efforts. Sadly, he is pulling America in the wrong direction on issue after issue, and his State of the Union address tonight was just more of the same.
Look at the record:
• Democrats are fighting to protect Americans’ pre-existing conditions, defend Medicaid, and support the negotiation of prescription drug prices. Meanwhile, the president is fighting to destroy pre-existing conditions in court, wants to block-grant Medicaid, and has broken his campaign promise to let Medicare negotiate drug prices.
• Democrats are dedicated to ensuring bigger paychecks for every American family. Meanwhile, the president has focused on enriching the wealthy few while blocking Democrats’ efforts to help hardworking American families make ends meet.
• I’ve led my fellow Democrats as we passed my Dream and Promise Act in the House, so we can protect our hardworking and patriotic young Dreamers and offer them a path to citizenship. Meanwhile, the president is trying as hard as he can to strip Dreamers of their protections.
• Democrats are working to develop comprehensive immigration reform that treats every immigrant with dignity and keeps families together. Meanwhile, the president has torn families apart, put children in cages, and reveled in anti-immigrant bigotry.
• Democrats want to build the infrastructure of the 21st century. Meanwhile, the president has failed to deliver the infrastructure investments our communities need.
• Democrats are demanding environmental policies that take climate change seriously, and promote clean air, water, and land for our communities. Meanwhile, the president is turning a blind eye to the climate crisis and rolling back lifesaving environmental regulations.
• Democrats are championing education policies that will train Americans for the jobs of the modern economy. Meanwhile, the president thinks children should be crowded into bigger classrooms with fewer resources.
• Democrats have passed HR 1 to clean up corruption and make Washington work for the American people. Meanwhile, the president is focused on enriching himself and amassing political power.
Enough is enough. This president needs to follow Democrats’ example and start putting the American people first.